Yonemitsu of Japan wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Russians rule on London Olympic wrestling mat
- Varner of US wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Yonemitsu of Japan wins Olympic wrestling gold
- US wrestler Varner to go for Olympic gold
- Egyptian wrestlers skip their Olympic matches
- Taymazov of Uzbekistan wins 3rd straight gold
- Asgarov of Azerbaijan wins Olympic wrestling gold
- US wrestling coach Jones gets yellow at Olympics
- Burroughs of the US wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Otarsultanov of Russia wins Olympic wrestling gold
Updated August 12, 2012
LONDON (AP) Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu of Japan won a wrestling gold medal in men's 66-kilogram freestyle Sunday, beating Sushil Kumar of India to give the Japanese their first Olympic title in the sport in 24 years.
The last Japanese wrestler to claim gold was flyweight Mitsuru Sato at the 1988 Seoul Games.
Yonemitsu, the runner-up at the world championships in 2011, beat Kumar 1-0, 3-1 in the first gold-medal match featuring an Indian wrestler.
The win was Japan's fourth gold of the London Games. Three Japanese women won gold medals earlier this week.