US wrestler Varner to go for Olympic gold
- Russians rule on London Olympic wrestling mat
- Varner of US wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Yonemitsu of Japan wins Olympic wrestling gold
- US wrestler Varner to go for Olympic gold
- Egyptian wrestlers skip their Olympic matches
- Taymazov of Uzbekistan wins 3rd straight gold
- Asgarov of Azerbaijan wins Olympic wrestling gold
- US wrestling coach Jones gets yellow at Olympics
- Burroughs of the US wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Otarsultanov of Russia wins Olympic wrestling gold
Updated August 12, 2012
LONDON (AP) American wrestler Jake Varner will wrestle go for the gold medal Sunday in the men's 96-kilogram freestyle division.
Varner rallied to beat George Gogshelidze of Georgia 0-2, 1-0, 1-0 in the semifinals.
Varner will face Valerii Andriitsev of Ukraine, who won his semifinal match after Iranian favorite Reza Yazdani hurt his leg and was hauled off on a wheelchair.
Varner, a two-time NCAA champion at Iowa State, will attempt to become the second American wrestler to win Olympic gold in London.
Jordan Burroughs won the men's 74-kg freestyle on Friday night.
The U.S. hasn't had multiple freestyle gold medalists since three Americans won gold at the 1996 Atlanta Games.