Japan takes bronze in Olympic women's volleyball
- Coach Hugh McCutcheon ends Olympic volleyball run
- Russia defeats Brazil for Olympic volleyball gold
- Italy beats Bulgaria for Olympic volleyball bronze
- US settles for silver in women's volleyball
- Brazil looks for double volleyball golds in London
- Brazil stuns US for gold in women's volleyball
- TV replay coming for volleyball worlds
- Japan takes bronze in Olympic women's volleyball
- US women's vball team tries for 1st Olympic gold
- Russia will play for the gold in men's volleyball
By ANNE M. PETERSON,
Updated August 11, 2012
LONDON (AP) Japan added to its medal collection in Olympic women's volleyball by defeating South Korea in straight sets for the bronze at the London Games.
Japan has won two golds, two silver and two bronzes since volleyball joined the Olympics in 1964. Russia is the only other team with six.
Saori Sakoda scored 23 points, including the spike that won the match, in the 25-22, 26-24, 25-21 victory Saturday for fifth-ranked Japan. Kim Yeon-koung, the leading scorer in London, had 22 points for No. 15 South Korea.
The top-ranked U.S. women, who have not lost in the Olympic tournament, face No. 2 Brazil in the gold-medal match late Saturday. It's a rematch of the final at the 2008 Beijing Games, which gave Brazil its first gold in the sport.