Burroughs of the US wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Russians rule on London Olympic wrestling mat
- Varner of US wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Yonemitsu of Japan wins Olympic wrestling gold
- US wrestler Varner to go for Olympic gold
- Egyptian wrestlers skip their Olympic matches
- Taymazov of Uzbekistan wins 3rd straight gold
- Asgarov of Azerbaijan wins Olympic wrestling gold
- US wrestling coach Jones gets yellow at Olympics
- Burroughs of the US wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Otarsultanov of Russia wins Olympic wrestling gold
Updated August 10, 2012
LONDON (AP) American Jordan Burroughs has won the men's 74-kg freestyle, beating Iran's Sadegh Saeed Goudarzi 1-0, 1-0 to give the U.S. its first wrestling gold medal of the London Games.
Burroughs beat Denis Tsargush of Russia in the semifinals on Friday, then got past Goudarzi in a rematch of their world-championship bout in 2011.
Burroughs, who grew up in New Jersey, has won 38 straight freestyle matches since leaving the University of Nebraska.