Berg sits out Olympic volleyball match for US
- Coach Hugh McCutcheon ends Olympic volleyball run
- Russia defeats Brazil for Olympic volleyball gold
- Italy beats Bulgaria for Olympic volleyball bronze
- US settles for silver in women's volleyball
- Brazil looks for double volleyball golds in London
- Brazil stuns US for gold in women's volleyball
- TV replay coming for volleyball worlds
- Japan takes bronze in Olympic women's volleyball
- US women's vball team tries for 1st Olympic gold
- Russia will play for the gold in men's volleyball
Updated August 7, 2012
LONDON (AP) U.S. women's volleyball team captain Lindsey Berg did not play in the team's Olympic quarterfinal match against the Dominican Republic on Tuesday after a left ankle injury in a preliminary round game.
It was unclear if the injury prevented Berg from playing, or if the top-ranked United States was giving her ankle extra rest against the 11th-ranked Dominicans to prepare for the semifinals on Thursday.
Courtney Thompson started in place of the three-time Olympian, who is retiring from volleyball after the London Games.
Berg dressed and warmed up with the team with no visible limp, but she appeared to be wearing special compression socks. She often conferred with Thompson during timeouts.
Berg injured the ankle in a match against Turkey on Sunday.