China's Xu Lijia wins Olympic sailing gold
- Onya, mates: Aussies golden on the Olympic waves
- Spain wins dramatic Olympic sailing gold
- CAS rejects Russian appeal in Olympic sailing case
- Finland wins women's match racing Olympic bronze
- Kiwis get Olympic sailing gold in women's 470
- Aussies win 3rd Olympic sailing gold
- It's calm, so Olympic sailing can't carry on
- Men's 470 Olympic medals race postponed til Friday
- US Sailing launches review after dismal Olympics
- Aussies sail laps of honor to take Olympic gold
By BERNIE WILSON,
Updated August 6, 2012
WEYMOUTH, England (AP) Xu Lijia of China won the gold medal in women's Laser Radial in sailing on Monday despite having to do a penalty turn on the first downwind leg.
Xu, who won the bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics, quickly rebounded from being penalized for rocking the boat and opened a comfortable lead sailing on the Nothe Course on Weymouth Bay.
The medals race came down to four sailors with a chance at gold. Xu, Marit Bouwmeester of the Netherlands, Annalise Murphy of Ireland and Evi Van Acker of Belgium came into the final race separated by only one point.
Bouwmeester took the silver and Van Acker the bronze.
Murphy finished fourth and failed to win a medal after winning the first four races, including three in which she led at every mark.