Iran's Soryan wins Olympic gold at men's 55K
- Russians rule on London Olympic wrestling mat
- Varner of US wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Yonemitsu of Japan wins Olympic wrestling gold
- US wrestler Varner to go for Olympic gold
- Egyptian wrestlers skip their Olympic matches
- Taymazov of Uzbekistan wins 3rd straight gold
- Asgarov of Azerbaijan wins Olympic wrestling gold
- US wrestling coach Jones gets yellow at Olympics
- Burroughs of the US wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Otarsultanov of Russia wins Olympic wrestling gold
Updated August 5, 2012
LONDON (AP) Hamid Soryan of Iran won an Olympic gold medal Sunday in men's 55-kilogram Greco-Roman wrestling.
The five-time world champion beat Rovshan Bayramov of Azerbaijan 2-0, 1-0 to become the first Iranian to win a gold medal in Greco-Roman wrestling.
Iran has 30 overall medals in freestyle but had only two, a silver and a bronze, in Greco-Roman before Sunday.
Bayramov, the defending world champion, lost in the Olympic final for the second straight time. He fell to Nazir Mankiev of Russia in Beijing.
Peter Modos of Hungary and Mingiyan Semenov of Russia won bronze medals.