Italy has chance at 3rd fencing gold at Olympics
- Italy wins gold in men's team foil at Olympics
- Germany wins bronze in men's team foil at Olympics
- Italy has chance at 3rd fencing gold at Olympics
- Finally, a medal for South Korean fencer
- China wins Olympic gold in epee team
- South Korea urges IOC to probe fencer's defeat
- South Korea wins Olympic saber team event
- Italy wins Olympic gold at women's foil team event
- US saber team faces top seed Russia at Olympics
- South Korea's Kim wins women's sabre gold medal
By GERALD IMRAY,
Updated August 5, 2012
LONDON (AP) Italy has a chance at a third fencing gold at the Olympics after beating the United States in the semifinals of the men's team foil.
Japan sneaked past third-seeded Germany 41-40 in the other semi through a sudden-death bout in a phenomenal tussle on Sunday's final day of fencing at ExCel Centre. Yuki Ota scored the decisive touch in a rousing finish.
The top-seeded Italians won 45-24 over the U.S. and favorites Andrea Cassara, Andrea Baldini and Giorgio Avola will try for the country's third Olympic title against seventh-seeded Japan.
Italy is guaranteed silver, taking its fencing medal tally in London to seven. It already tops the table over South Korea, having won gold in the women's individual and team foil.
The U.S. can claim a second bronze.