Olympic fencer Zagunis loses semi at London Games
- Italy wins gold in men's team foil at Olympics
- Germany wins bronze in men's team foil at Olympics
- Italy has chance at 3rd fencing gold at Olympics
- Finally, a medal for South Korean fencer
- China wins Olympic gold in epee team
- South Korea urges IOC to probe fencer's defeat
- South Korea wins Olympic saber team event
- Italy wins Olympic gold at women's foil team event
- US saber team faces top seed Russia at Olympics
- South Korea's Kim wins women's sabre gold medal
Updated August 1, 2012
LONDON (AP) Two-time Olympic sabre champion Mariel Zagunis, who carried the American flag at the opening ceremony, has lost a semifinal match at the London Games.
Zagunis wasted an early lead and fell to South Korea's Kim Jiyeon 15-13 in the semifinals. She will meet either Russia's Sofya Velikaya or Olga Kharlan of the Ukraine later Wednesday night for bronze.
The top-seeded Zagunis defeated No. 32 Diah Permatasari of Indonesia 15-7 in her opening bout, topped Japan's Seira Nakayama 15-9 in the next round, then overwhelmed China's Zhu Min 15-6 in the quarterfinals to reach the medal round.
Dagmara Wozniak of the U.S. was ousted in the quarterfinals, falling to second-seeded Velikaya 15-13.