Olympic fencer Zagunis into semis at London Games
- Italy wins gold in men's team foil at Olympics
- Germany wins bronze in men's team foil at Olympics
- Italy has chance at 3rd fencing gold at Olympics
- Finally, a medal for South Korean fencer
- China wins Olympic gold in epee team
- South Korea urges IOC to probe fencer's defeat
- South Korea wins Olympic saber team event
- Italy wins Olympic gold at women's foil team event
- US saber team faces top seed Russia at Olympics
- South Korea's Kim wins women's sabre gold medal
Updated August 1, 2012
LONDON (AP) Two-time Olympic sabre champion Mariel Zagunis, who carried the American flag at the opening ceremony, has moved into the semifinals at the London Games.
The top-seeded Zagunis defeated No. 32 Diah Permatasari of Indonesia 15-7 on Wednesday in her opening bout, topped Japan's Seira Nakayama 15-9 in the next round, then overwhelmed China's Zhu Min 15-6 in the quarterfinals to reach Wednesday night's medal round.
Dagmara Wozniak of the U.S. was ousted in the quarterfinals, falling to second-seeded Russian Sofya Velikaya 15-13.
Zagunis was a late addition to the U.S. roster for the 2004 Athens Olympics, and went on to win her country's first fencing gold medal in 100 years. Zagunis defended her title at Beijing in 2008.