Belarus beats New Zealand 1-0 at Olympics
- Japan women's soccer team upgraded to business
- Mexico celebrating surprising soccer gold
- IOC withholds SKorean medal over political sign
- South Korean player not at Olympic medal ceremony
- Mexico beats Brazil to win 1st Olympic soccer gold
- Mexico's goal fastest in Olympics since 1976
- Slogan on South Korean flag probed at Olympics
- FIFA studies South Korea flag incident at Olympics
- Brazil looks to capture 1st Olympic soccer gold
- South Korea beats Japan to get Olympic bronze
Updated July 26, 2012
COVENTRY, England (AP) Dmitry Baga scored in the first half to give Belarus a 1-0 win over New Zealand in their Group C opener at the Olympics on Thursday.
Baga converted a header just before halftime, and Belarus held on to the narrow lead to secure the three points at City of Coventry Stadium.
Belarus dominated the first half, but New Zealand came out strong in the second half. It just was unable to break through the Europeans' defense.
Belarus faces tournament favorite Brazil on Sunday in its second game of the group stage. New Zealand plays Egypt.