US men's Olympic team set for camp, roster picks
- Paralympics officials on the lockout for boosting
- Cheating at Paralympics could involve self-harm
- Pistorius to run again, this time at Paralympics
- Pistorius runs again, this time at Paralympics
- Classifying disabilities tricky at Paralympics
- After judo gold, Harrison might go for Rio in 2016
- Paralympic cauldron lit in central London
- Valerie Adams seeks her Olympic gold medal at IOC
- Full TV coverage for Paralympics, just not in US
- Brazil minister not concerned with hotel shortages
By BRIAN MAHONEY,
Updated July 5, 2012
LAS VEGAS (AP) The U.S. men's Olympic basketball team planned to arrive at training camp with its 12-man squad already selected, keeping the focus entirely on the road to London.
Instead, the Americans' plans, just like their roster, have been wrecked by injuries.
When practice opens Friday on the campus of UNLV, the top priority will be determining who among the players still standing get the final available spots.
The Americans had been scheduled to unveil their roster June 18, but that was postponed after a wave of injuries. They will finally select their team Saturday night.
Nine spots seem set with holdovers from the 2008 Olympics and 2010 world basketball championship. The rest will be determined after the first two days of workouts.