John Smith named to US coaching staff
- Russians rule on London Olympic wrestling mat
- Varner of US wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Yonemitsu of Japan wins Olympic wrestling gold
- US wrestler Varner to go for Olympic gold
- Egyptian wrestlers skip their Olympic matches
- Taymazov of Uzbekistan wins 3rd straight gold
- Asgarov of Azerbaijan wins Olympic wrestling gold
- US wrestling coach Jones gets yellow at Olympics
- Burroughs of the US wins Olympic wrestling gold
- Otarsultanov of Russia wins Olympic wrestling gold
Updated June 28, 2012
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) Two-time Olympic champion John Smith is among three volunteer coaches picked to serve as assistants for the men's freestyle team in the London Games.
The U.S. Olympic Committee says it has approved USA Wrestling's nominations of Smith, Nebraska coach Mark Manning and Lou Rosselli to help out head coach Zeke Jones.
Smith, the head coach at Oklahoma State, won gold for the United States in Seoul in 1988 and in Barcelona four years later.
Manning is the personal coach for Jordan Burroughs, the reigning world champion at 74 kilograms. Manning also assisted the U.S. team at last year's world championships.
Rosselli, a 1996 Olympian and the associate head coach at Ohio State, works in Ohio with heavyweight Tervel Dlagnev.