John Smith named to US coaching staff
- Patriots sign Olympic medalist Demps
- Phelps' agent: Leaked pics not violation
- Dumais wins US synchronized diving title
- Lolo honored at home in tough month
- Douglas, Wieber enjoy celebrity sparkle
- Richards-Ross wins 400 in Stockholm
- Auriemma won't return as coach in 2016
- Phelps again graces Wheaties box
- US diver Boudia eyes gymnastics for 2016
- N. Korean medalists get big welcome home
Updated June 28, 2012
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) Two-time Olympic champion John Smith is among three volunteer coaches picked to serve as assistants for the men's freestyle team in the London Games.
The U.S. Olympic Committee says it has approved USA Wrestling's nominations of Smith, Nebraska coach Mark Manning and Lou Rosselli to help out head coach Zeke Jones.
Smith, the head coach at Oklahoma State, won gold for the United States in Seoul in 1988 and in Barcelona four years later.
Manning is the personal coach for Jordan Burroughs, the reigning world champion at 74 kilograms. Manning also assisted the U.S. team at last year's world championships.
Rosselli, a 1996 Olympian and the associate head coach at Ohio State, works in Ohio with heavyweight Tervel Dlagnev.