South Africa earns final Olympic field hockey spot
- Patriots sign Olympic medalist Demps
- Phelps' agent: Leaked pics not violation
- Dumais wins US synchronized diving title
- Lolo honored at home in tough month
- Douglas, Wieber enjoy celebrity sparkle
- Richards-Ross wins 400 in Stockholm
- Auriemma won't return as coach in 2016
- Phelps again graces Wheaties box
- US diver Boudia eyes gymnastics for 2016
- N. Korean medalists get big welcome home
Updated May 6, 2012
TOKYO (AP) South Africa earned the 12th and last berth in the Olympic men's field hockey tournament by beating Japan 2-1 Sunday in the final of the qualifying competition.
Japan's men's team was bidding for its first Olympic slot in 44 years. The Japanese women qualified Saturday with a 5-1 win over Azerbaijan.
South Africa entered the tournament as the top-seeded team. It secured its third straight appearance at the Olympics.
Thornton McDade and Lloyd Norris Jones scored in the second half for South Africa. Kenji Kitazato scored for Japan with six minutes left but South Africa held on.